Monday, November 12, 2012

Oh Deer


I'm currently working on a residential design for a client with three exciting challenges: deer, wind, and steep slopes. The property is located in the foothills, and is surrounded by plenty of native vegetation. Our goal is to create a harmonious, balanced design that helps to separate the house from the surrounding wilderness. Here are a few of the plants we've talked about incorporating into the landscape.

 

Hicks Yew

Taxus x media 'Hicksii
Height: 10-12'
Width: 3-4'
partial to full sun
image here
 
Evergreens work to add foundation and year round color to a landscape.  A hedged yew would add increased formality along with wind resistance. When planted at the edge of a steep slope they provide security.   
 

Red Twig Dogwood

Cornus alba 'Siberica'
Height: 7-9'
Width: 5'
part to full sun
 
images here & here
Dogwood is one of my favorites, which is probably why I mention it so often. I love the deep green foundation it provides when used as a backdrop for summer blooming perennials. But I love it even more during the winter and fall months as the leaves drop and the fiery red of new growth takes its turn in the spotlight.
 
 

Dwarf Cranberry

Viburnum opulus 'Nanum'
Height: 2-3'
Width: 2-3'
part to full sun
image here
 
Recently in my floral design classes we've been talking about texture.  We've discussed how it can create a focal point or add emphasis.  This characteristics of texture arent only limited to designs with fresh flowers, they can be incorporated and utlized in a garden setting as well.  Thats what I love about this dwarf cranberry.  I love the ruffled texture of this compact shrub.  When used in mass plantings it will add visual contrast and varience. 
 
 

Dwarf Burning Bush

Euonymous alatus compactus
Height: 6-8'
Width: 8-10'
image here
 
Another one of my favorites that I've mentioned recently.  Bright fall colors will help to create a year round landscape.
 
 
 

Mops Mugo Pine

Pinus mugo 'Mops'
Height: 5'
Width: 5'
image here
 
I've come full circle with mugos, from complete dislike to an actual appreciation.  About six years ago I talked my parents into pulling a mugo out of their front bay window {the one I've recently done a design for here}.  It was a beast of a shrub, trying to spread eight or so feet across the bed.  This experience instilled in me a disapproval of mugos, until I found the dwarfs.  There are controllable varieties that max out at five feet like the Mops here.  But they go even smaller.  The Sherwood only reaches 24'' in width and height.  Mugos are a great way to add structure.   
 

 

Perennials

astilbe
coral bells
heleborus
cranesbill
 

No comments:

Post a Comment